Welcome to the IBWA Hydration Calculator. This interactive tool is designed to help individuals meet their personal hydration needs. The most current findings of the National Academy of Sciences as reported in its February 2004 report, "Dietary Reference Intakes (DRI) for Water, Potassium, Sodium, Chloride, and Sulfate," and other expert resources, have been considered when preparing the Hydration Calculator.
Adequate hydration is important for all individuals, and water is an excellent choice for consumers who enjoy its refreshing taste, or wish to avoid or moderate calories, caffeine, sugar or the various ingredients found in other beverages.
In this section, you`ll find helpful suggestions about your total water intake and other information about water`s vital role in maintaining a healthy lifestyle.
In February, 2004, the National Academy of Sciences (NAS) issued a report on the Dietary Reference Intakes for Water, Potassium, Sodium, Chloride, and Sulfate that estimates an adequate daily intake level of water for women of 91 ounces and 125 ounces for men. The report further stated that about 80% of the estimated total water intake is met by consuming water and beverages, while the other 20% is derived from foods.
While the NAS report mentions water and beverages, bottled water is an excellent choice for hydration for those who enjoy its refreshing taste and consistent high quality and safety, and for consumers wishing to avoid or moderate calories, caffeine, sugar, artificial colorings or other additives.
The amount of water you need to be adequately hydrated varies depending on your temperature, weight, level and duration of exercise, and many other factors. We offer this handy tool that will calculate a recommended water intake guideline that is tailored to your individual needs. Remember, this is only an estimate. You will also receive a schedule of the best times of day to fulfill your daily hydration requirements
Water`s Role in the Body.
Water helps nearly every part of the human body function efficiently. Considering that our bodies are almost two-thirds water, it is important to understand water`s role in healthy lifestyles. The following are just some of the things water does in the body:
- Brain is 75% water / Moderate dehydration can cause headaches and dizziness
- Water is required for breathing
- Regulates body temperature
- Carries nutrients and oxygen to all cells in the body
- Blood is 92% water
- Moistens oxygen for breathing
- Protects and cushions vital organs
- Helps to convert food into energy
- Helps body absorb nutrients
- Removes waste
- Bones are 22% water
- Muscles are 75% water
- Cushions joints