Activated Carbon Systems: Water Purification & Carbon Filter
Activated Carbon & Water Quality Parameters
Water plays a key role in sustaining life and hence, water purification and water treatment is essential. Water Quality parameters should and must be checked, specially before consumption. Having a look at water or its color does no justice to water analysis. You need to have a proper method to analyze and check water quality parameters. Since water is taken from several sources, which include rivers, ponds, lakes, oceans, springs, creeps, swamps etc, it is difficult to run the same standards of quality analysis for water taken from different sources. Activated carbon systems and filters are extensively used for water purification. It makes the overall process water treatment and purification simple.
If you are looking for analysis of water by systems, we at IDS Water have it all and much more, including a wide variety of products for water testing and monitoring. Our primary objective is to provide you with the best services and consultation required for water treatment and purification. We can connect you to our suppliers and vendors who are experts in providing services related to water treatment and purification.
We have a list of trained suppliers and vendors who can help you with water treatment facilities. Our dealers can provide you with water testing kits as well. Continue reading the articles in our IDS water website to know more about activated carbon filter systems and water purification.
Activated Carbon & Carbon Filter
Activated carbon is a by-product of charcoal and is used for various purposes. There various applications and uses of carbon filters, air filters and water filters. Activated Carbon systems are widely used for water purification, gas purification, metal extraction, medicine, sewage treatment, air filters, gas masks and respirators. The various applications of activated carbon systems can be listed as follows:
- Environmental applications: and carbon adsorption is extensively used for environmental processes such as spill cleanup, groundwater remediation, drinking water filtration, air purification, gasoline-dispensing operations etc. There are numerous applications, which includes removing pollutants from streams, ponds, lakes, air etc.
- Medical applications: systems are widely used to cure and treat poisonings and overdoses following an oral ingestion. Activated carbon is widely used as a treatment for poisonings and other decontamination methods such asipecac, induced emesis or stomach pumping. The intake of prior to consumption of alcohol reduces absorption of ethanol into the blood. There are evidences of effectiveness to prevent diarrhea in cancer patients who received tablets and capsules containing activated carbon. It is used for bowel preparation before abdominal radiography as well. Water quality parameters can be maintained well by carbon filters and water filters.
- Fuel Storage: Activated carbon and water filter is widely used for storing gases as the gas can be stored in a low pressure, low mass, low volume environment. Several researches are being done on storing fuel and gas. Due to Van der Walls forces (the sum of the attractive or repulsive forces between molecules), gases get attracted to carbon material.
- Gas purification: Activated carbon systems are extensively used for gas purification in addition to reverse osmosis, as it can remove oil vapors, odors, and other hydrocarbons from the air. Activated carbon filters are used to retain radioactive gases in nuclear reactor condensers.
- Alcoholic beverage purification: Various alcoholic beverages such as vodka, rum, whisky etc can be purified by activated carbon treatment methods. Impurities, which can affect color, taste, and odor of alcoholic beverages can be purified efficiently using activated carbon purification methods.
Activated Carbon Water Treatment & Water Filter
Activated carbon filters are used in home water purification systems, to remove taste and odor. It is highly effective in removing organic compounds such as benzene, volatile organic compounds, and pesticides. Though, not all drinking water contaminants are removed, it certainly removes metals, chlorine and radon from water. It is important to determinewhich water contaminants are present in your water before buying activated carbon systems, as they are limited in the types of compounds they can remove effectively.
Home water treatment is generally considered a temporary solution. The process of activated carbon water treatment can adsorb many organic compounds, such as chlorinated and non-chlorinated solvents, gasoline, pesticides and trihalomethanes. The main reasons that chemicals adsorb onto air conditioners is due to repulsion from water, and attraction to activated carbon. Activated carbon is effective in removing chlorine and moderately effective in removing some heavy metals. Activated carbon is packaged in filter cartridges that are inserted into the purification device. While purifying, water is made to pass through the cartridge, contacting the activated carbon. In this way, water is being treated and purified. The activated carbon water treatment is an easy method of purifying water and hence, it is widely used.
Advantages of Using Activated Carbon Water Treatment
Activated carbon water treatment is a widely used method for water treatment and purification. The advantages that it offers are many and they can be listed as follows:
- Activated carbon filtration is highly effective in removing non-polar organic chemicals and substances from water. Non-polar organic chemicals are found in water due to various sources of water contamination. Industry wastes are one of the biggest reasons for non-polar organic chemicals. The use of activated carbon system filtration has a noticeable effect on water quality parameters.
- Activated carbon water treatment is applicable to a large variety of organic compounds, contaminants and pollutants in addition to reverse osmosis.
- Waste streams become grayish due to the presence of various pollutants. It is difficult to remove the color but the use of activated carbon water treatment can decolorize these waste streams to a huge extent.
- The use of activated carbon filters is highly effective in removing low-level inorganic pollutants. The presence of inorganic pollutants is highly dangerous; especially if the water is used for drinking.
- An activated carbon system is highly efficient and can start off and shut down in a short period. Thus, it is user friendly and flexible in terms of performance.
With all the advantages, there are a few limitations of activated carbon system. It is limited to organic wastes with concentrations less than 5%. Moreover, it is limited to inorganic wastes with concentrations less than 1%. The activated carbon water treatment system is unable to remove highly dissolved solutes having low molecular weights. Due to the high cost of carbon, the overall cost goes up, which can be a matter of concern at times.
If you are looking for activated carbon water treatment services and solutions, then you have come to the right place. We at IDS Water have it all and much more. We are committed towards connecting you to our vendors and suppliers who are known for quality water treatment services and solutions. To know more about the different aspects of water analysis, treatment and purification, read the articles in our IDS Water website.
Tags: Activated Carbon, Carbon Filter, Air Filter, Water Filter, Filters, Filtration, , Water Testing, Water Quality, Treatment, Purification, Activated Charcoal, Gas Purification, Metal Extraction, Medicine, Sewage Treatment, , Gas Masks, Respirators, Spill Cleanup, Groundwater Remediation, Drinking Water Filtration, Air Purification, Gasoline Dispensing Operations, Ipecac, Induced Emesis, Vendors, Suppliers, Vendor, Supplier